Planning your goals for 2021 and 2022 has been difficult due to changing circumstances! However, we can do it if we think carefully about it.
Goals help us to visualise where we want our business to be in the future and we can then plan on how to get there. In these uncertain times it’s difficult to know exactly what will happen too far in advance so we need to make our plans adaptable to respond to changing circumstances.
- Plan for your long-term goals in the normal way but focus on three years ahead rather than any further.
- Focus on high level strategy rather than micro planning.
- Focus on the details for the shorter term, 2-6 weeks, but leave the longer term more vague.
- Anticipate what challenges you might face and plan ways to problem solve how to resolve them.
- Consider different outcomes and how you might accomplish them. What is a good outcome, what is a better outcome and what is the best outcome?
- Know what you want to achieve but contemplate different options of how you might get there.
- Build in wiggle room in case things don’t go as planned so that you don’t feel overwhelmed.
- Frequently look at your shorter-term tasks to see if you are still on track and take the necessary action if things aren’t working out as anticipated.
- Adjust your tasks as necessary to accomplish your goal.
- Small steps are better than no steps at all, so focus on the small steps and continue to move forward.
- Remember it’s ok to change your goals and plans based on new opportunities or changing circumstances.
- Make time to plan your week ahead and block this time out in your diary to make sure you can complete the tasks you have set yourself. If circumstances have changed look at what you need to do to adjust your course.
- Plan in time for any big projects and put these in your diary too so that you can see what space you have in your week for opportunities that may come up unexpectedly.
I hope these tips have helped you and given you something to think about.
If you’d like support dealing with your tasks or brainstorming, please contact us.